The law school at the University of Cumbria is looking for community-based groups that might need some targeted legal research assistance.
Our final year law undergraduates will be working in teams during February and March 2020 to help identify, research and present answers to questions you might have about the law and the way it impacts on you and your activities.
We will have four or five teams of students who will work on one project each. We hope to provide a valuable learning experience for our students while also promoting civic engagement and contributing to the University’s local community.
If we have expressions of interest from more than enough groups we will make our choice based on the potential benefits to both the group and the students’ learning opportunities. We will also try to work with as many different organisations as we can.
Past projects have involved for example – research and presentations to Cumbria Gateway on employment law affecting charity staff; to Keswick Mountain Rescue Team on becoming a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) and to the CAB on disability discrimination and access issues.
The timetable will be as follows:
- 14th November – Deadline to contact coordinator – use Take Up Offer button to left of this post
- Week commencing 18th November – Confirmation of project selection
- December – further clarification of research area if necessary
- Week commencing 20th January – Student Teams allocated and contact groups to obtain a briefing
- February / March – students work on research and prepare presentation or report
- Week commencing 16th March – presentation or report delivered